Everingham Family History Public Record Reprint

Biographical information
About Donald M. Everingham

Everingham, Donald Millard
Manlius, N.Y.

Donald's Name appears on the Manlius Honor Roll. Name appears on the Manlius Methodist Church service flag.
The Eagle-Bulletin, 4/3/1942.

"Mrs. Clinton Everingham and sons, Raymond and Laurence, of Honolulu, have arrived at the California coast, where they will spend a month with Mr. Everingham, U. S. Navy. Later Mrs. Everingham and sons will visit their aunt, Mrs. Ella Fisher, in Manlius,"
The Eagle-Bulletin, 4/10/1942.

"Mr. and Mrs. Millard Everingham received a letter this week from their son, Donald Everingham, now stationed in Oran, Africa. Mr. Everingham writes that at present he is doing night ward-duty. He is with the 48th Surgical Hospital,"
The Eagle-Bulletin, 12/4/1942.

"Donald Everingham, son of Mr. and Mrs. Millard Everingham, of Smith street, has been awarded the Purple Heart for bravery under fire. He was wounded in action. Commando Everingham enlisted in the Medical division, but transferred while in Africa. He has recovered from his injuries and will return to duty,"
The Eagle-Bulletin, 4/7/1944.

"After more than two and a half years overseas--most of it spent with the rugged First Ranger battalion--Donald M. Everingham, Manlius artist, is home, honorably discharged. And his immediate project is a book of prints, originals for which were made in the combat theaters. Not pictures of 'pretty-faced soldiers eating their C rations with relish,' he emphasizes, but, rather, the kind of GIs he saw. 'After you've seen a bit of service, the pretty pictures make you a little weary,' Everingham says. That 'bit of service' includes scrambling ashore in the original November, 1942, landing in North Africa and the Ranger invasions in Sicily and Italy, and, later, at Marseille, France.
It includes, too, an incident, in North Africa, where the medical unit with which he was serving wasn't battle-experienced enough to black out its tent hospital perfectly; and a sniper drew a bead on a group crowded about an operating table and shot the patient. In there also was a period of 20 isolated days atop a mountain north of Salerno, after the Rangers had swept ashore and beyond the four miles, only to find themselves cut off without a supply line; fortunately, there were sheep there to kill to add to the slim 'iron rations.' And then the Manlius GI recalls Artena in Italy. That was after the Anzio landing, when the Ranger battalion was wiped out as a unit, a fate Everingham didn't share because he had been hospitalized for the first of two wounds he was to suffer in action.
But at Artena, he was part of the now famous First Special Service Force, the initial Yank-Canadian outfit trained as paratroopers, ski and mountain troops, but utilized primarily as ground forces to spearhead attack. Though the Allied troops were entrenched on high ground with the Nazis below, the Germany heavy artillery was picking off the United Nations forces with bloody success.
Everingham's unit, in which he was a corporal, had established a first aid station in a sewer. 'But it was a clean sewer,' he says. 'At that, tho, there wasn't much else to use and the Jerries' heavy stuff was raking away at everything that stuck up. Then they hit a water main uptown and an avalanche of a flood struck us. There wasn't anything to do but move the casualties, and most of them bad. So we went thru pretty tough fire to get them into a building that somehow stayed up.' For a part in the 20-day stand near Salerno, Everingham shared with his fellows in a presidential citation.
In addition, he has earned a purple heart ribbon and an African theater bar with three campaign stars. The three years of service included training in the Southwest and duty in Iceland and the British Isles, adding more travel to a peace-time itinerary that had included a trip to Mexico and New Mexico a few years back. That artist's journey, part of which was reported in stories sent to The Post-Standard came after Everingham's graduation from Syracuse university's College of Fine Arts in 1937. The war-book project already has a beginning. Some 25 pen-and-ink drawings and watercolors were sent home from Italy and Sicily. The final batch of published work, he hopes, will run to 80 prints,"

The Post-Standard, 12/24/1944.

"Millard Everingham, whose paintings appear in the current Harwood Foundation exhibition, has recently held a one-man show at the Palace of the Legion of Honor in San Francisco, another at Syracuse University and one of his oil paintings of one of his neighbors at Ranchos de Taos has been added to the permanent collection of the Dallas, Texas Museum. Meantime Mr. Everingham is far from the field of art, but storing up impressions and making sketches for work in the future, as a member of a U. S. Army medical corps detachment in service in North Africa. From San Francisco comes a comment from Dr. Termayne MacAgy, acting director of the San Francisco Gallery, stating that the exhibition was one of the best one-man shows that we have ever had in this building, and everyone, young and old, conventional and modern, enjoyed it very much. Mr. Everingham does not deal in the spacious New Mexico of Peter Hurd or the romantic Indian world of the Taos and Santa Fe groups. It is said he divides his time between a ghost town called Pents Altos, the mining camp of Mogollon and Taos. Anyhow, what seems to fascinate him most is the shacks in the hills, the unpainted houses, the corrugated iron garages and the dusty mine buildings. These he presents through a crystal clear atmosphere in cool but rich color, in spacious sizable compositions. As Henry Rust, of the legion staff, remarked, 'He is master of straight honest-to-goodness drawing, he knows his craft, and he knows what he is about, but one of his major virtues is his refusal to go slick and tricky,"
The Eagle-Bulletin, 7/30/1945.

"Donald Everingham of Mexico is passing a month visiting his parents Mr. and Mrs. Millard Everingham and other relatives and friends,"
The Eagle-Bulletin, 10/11/1946.

information transcribed by Kevin Everingham, 2012

(c)2013 Everingham Family History Archives